On 29 February 2012 the prequalification deadline closed for the Bandar Lampung 41 million liter per day bulk water supply project, which will serve the city of Bandar Lampung, Lampung. Bandar Lampung is a rapidly growing city with a population of around one million that is located at the souterns tip of Sumatra. It serves as the gateway to Sumatra and the linking point for transit with Java. The market launch of the project took place on 14 December 2011.
Bandar Lampung is going to be the first public private partnership (PPP) project in the water sector with a guarantee from the Indonesia Infrastructure Guarantee Fund (IIGF) and in which the World Bank provides assistance. As such, it will serve as a showcase project for how future water sector PPP projects will be developed under the IIGF framework.
The following 10 consortiums submitted prequalification applications as of the deadline:
- Abeima and PT Wijaya Karya Persero Tbk.
- Acuatico and Mitsubishi Corporation
- Aliran Ihsan Resources Berhad and Salcon Berhad
- China Harbour Engineering Co. Ltd , Sound Global, and PT Manggala Pernama Sakti
- Hyundai Engineering and Construction, Itochu Corporation and PT Potum Mundi Infranusantara
- LG International Corp, PT Bakrie Building Industries, Office of Waterworks Seoul Metropolitan (Seoul Water), and SsangYong Engineering & Construction Co., Ltd
- Manila Water and Great Giant Pineapple Co.
- PT Bangun Cipta and Medco
- PT Bosowa Investama, PT Budi Bakti Prima, and PT Tirta Teknosys
Lubis Ganie Surowidjojo (LGS) acts for the Indonesia Infrastructure Guarantee Fund (PT PII/IIGF) providing legal advice on the regulatory and legal mechanism of Infrastructure Guarantees for Public Private Partnership (PPP) projects, including the preparation of the related legal documentation. LGS is also part of the prequalification evaluation working group for the Bandar Lampung project.